Mark van Doren
- Current PhD students
- Hyungrok Kim, since June 2019
- Dominik Rist, since Oct 2018
- Alice Clark, since Oct 2014
- Past PhD students
- Lennart Schmidt, "Higher Gauge Theory and M-Theory",
Oct 2015 - Dec 2018, then postdoc at National University of Singapore
- Getachew Alemu Demessie, "Higher Gauge Theory and M-Theory",
Nov 2013 - Sep 2016, then Debre Markos University
- Sam Palmer, "Higher Gauge Theory and M-Theory",
Oct 2010 - Mar 2014, then postdoc at University of Dundee
- Past MMath project supervision
- Dillan Stark, "Abelian Differential Cohomology", Sep 2018 - Dec 2018
- Andrey Tin, "The Light Cone near a Black Hole", Sep 2015 - Dec 2015
- Past BSc project supervision
- Patric Brydon, "The Twin Paradox in Compact Space", Jan 2019 - Mar 2019
- Eline Nijdam, "Proof Assistants: Coq, Integers and the Curry-Howard Correspondence", Jan 2019 - Mar 2019
- Frolent Ntoto, "Higher Category Theory", Jan 2019 - Mar 2019
- Emmeline Pearce, "Solving Matrix Models", Jan 2019 - Mar 2019
- Dillan Stark, "Gauge Theories", Jan 2018 - Mar 2018
- Kathryn Eager, "Proof Assistants", Jan 2018 - Mar 2018
- Andrey Tin, "Apparent Paradoxes in Special Relativity", Jan 2015 - Mar 2015
- Hamza Ouared, "Higher Category Theory", Jan 2015 - Mar 2015
- Amy Green, "Apparent Paradoxes in Special Relativity", Jan 2014 - Mar 2014
- Other Project students
- Eline Nijdam (3rd year student, funded by Carnegie Trust Vacation Scholarships), "Generalized Higher Gauge Theory with Generalized String Structures", May 2018 - Jun 2018
- Connor Evans (3rd year student, funded by Carnegie Trust Vacation Scholarships), "Integrable Higher Gauge Field Equations", May 2017 - Jun 2017
- Simone Rea (3rd year student), "The Phase Diagram of Scalar Field Theory on the Fuzzy Disc", May 2015 - Jun 2015
Lectures at Undergraduate level
If not stated otherwise, the material for the lectures (lecture notes, tutorial sheets and solutions) can be found on VISION.
Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists 1, Sep-Dec 2018, Heriot-Watt University, F17XA
Discrete Mathematics, Sep-Dec 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, Heriot-Watt University, F19PB
Linear Algebra, Sep-Dec 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, Heriot-Watt University, F18CF
Lectures on Supersymmetry, Apr-Jun 2009, Trinity College Dublin, Homepage
Introductory lectures on "Higher Structures in M-theory"
Tohoku University, Sendai, during the workshop "Higher Structures in String Theory and M-Theory", 7.3.2016-11.3.2016.
Introductory lectures on Higher Gauge Theory
Erwin Schrödinger Institute, Vienna, during the ESI Program on Higher Structures in String Theory, 23.11.2015-4.12.2015.
Minicourse on "Nambu-Poisson algebras and their Quantization"
National Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Korea, during the NIMS Winter School on Quantum Gravity and Emergent Spacetime, 6.2.2012-10.2.2012.
Lecture on "Matrix Models and D-Branes in Twistor String Theory"
DESY, Hamburg, 18.1.2006.
Lecture on "The Penrose-Ward transform"
Joint Institute for Nuclear Research, Dubna, Russia, during the Advanced Summer School on Modern Mathematical Physics, 14.7.2005-26.7.2005.
Theoretical physics IV, summer term 2005
Quantum mechanics part II is intended to discuss all the fun aspects of quantum mechanics. The exercise sheets (together with some lecture notes) in German are found here.
Theoretical physiscs I, winter term 2004/2005
This course's subject was classical mechanics, special relativity and electrodynamics; a little too much, if you ask me. There is a separate page for this class, where you find all the exercise sheets prepared by me.
General Relativity, summer term 2004
Theoretical Physics III, winter term 2003/2004
Theoretical Physics II, summer term 2003
Calculatory Methods for Physicists I, winter term 2002/2003
This course, which is supposed to teach new physics students the elementary methods of problem solving and calculating in physics, was really a pleasure to tutor. The refreshing way, Prof. Schulz taught his class together with his unconventional style seems always to achieve exceptional good results in preparing the students for their way through (theoretical) physics.
Seminars for highly gifted secondary school students
In January 2008, I gave a three-day seminar on various aspects of life for young students. Material to this seminar is found here.
In January 2007, I gave a three-day seminar on problem solving for highly gifted pupils. The notes to this seminar are found here.
During the school holidays in fall 2005, I gave a three-day seminar on epistemology for highly gifted pupils. Some background material can be found here.